By Manfredo P. Do Carmo
The e-book treats differential kinds and makes use of them to check a few neighborhood and international facets of the differential geometry of surfaces. Differential types are brought in an easy method that would lead them to appealing to "users" of arithmetic. a quick and hassle-free advent to differentiable manifolds is given in order that the most theorem, particularly the Stokes' theorem, should be awarded in its normal environment. The functions consist in constructing the tactic of relocating frames of E. Cartan to review the neighborhood differential geometry of immersed surfaces in R3 in addition to the intrinsic geometry of surfaces. every little thing is then prepare within the final bankruptcy to provide Chern's facts of the Gauss-Bonnet theorem for compact surfaces.
Read or Download Differential Forms and Applications PDF
Best differential geometry books
Fibre bundles, now an essential component of differential geometry, also are of serious significance in glossy physics - corresponding to in gauge conception. This ebook, a succinct advent to the topic via renown mathematician Norman Steenrod, was once the 1st to give the topic systematically. It starts off with a normal creation to bundles, together with such subject matters as differentiable manifolds and overlaying areas.
Chavel I. , Farkas H. M. (eds. ) Differential geometry and complicated research (Springer, 1985)(ISBN 354013543X)(236s)
The purpose of those lecture notes is to provide an basically self-contained advent to the elemental regularity idea for power minimizing maps, together with fresh advancements in regards to the constitution of the singular set and asymptotics on method of the singular set. really expert wisdom in partial differential equations or the geometric calculus of diversifications is now not required.
- Elements of Noncommutative Geometry (Birkhauser Advanced Texts Basler Lehrbucher)
- Differential Geometry: The Interface Between Pure and Applied Mathematics : Proceedings
- The Principle of Least Action in Geometry and Dynamics
- Coulomb Frames in the Normal Bundle of Surfaces in Euclidean Spaces: Topics from Differential Geometry and Geometric Analysis of Surfaces
Additional info for Differential Forms and Applications
36. Expand and simplify the following: 1. [(x − y) dx + (x + y) dy + z dz] ∧ [(x − y) dx + (x + y) dy]. 2. (2dx + 3dy) ∧ (dx − dz) ∧ (dx + dy + dz). 1 Families of forms Let us now go back to the example in Chapter 1. In the last section of that chapter, we showed that the integral of a function, f : R3 → R, over a surface parameterized by φ : R ⊂ R2 → R3 is f (φ(r, θ))Area ∂φ ∂φ (r, θ), (r, θ) dr dθ. ∂r ∂θ R This gave one motivation for studying diﬀerential forms. We wanted to generalize this integral by considering functions other than “Area(·, ·)” that eat pairs of vectors and return numbers.
Such a vector is easy to ∇f ﬁnd: U = |∇f | . Now we compute this slope: ∇U f = ∇f · U ∇f = ∇f · |∇f | 1 = (∇f · ∇f ) |∇f | 1 |∇f |2 = |∇f | = |∇f |. Hence, the magnitude of the gradient vector represents the largest slope of a tangent line through a particular point. 9. Let f (x, y) = sin(xy 2 ). Calculate the directional derivative of f (x, y) at √ √ the point π4 , 1 , in the direction of 22 , 22 . 10. Let f (x, y) = xy 2 . 1. Compute ∇f . 2. Use your answer to the previous question to compute ∇ 1,5 f (2, 3).
Proof. The proof of the above lemma relies heavily on the fact that 2-forms which are the product of 1-forms are very ﬂexible. The 2-form α ∧ β takes pairs of vectors, projects them onto the plane spanned by the vectors α and β , and computes the area of the resulting parallelogram times the area of the parallelogram spanned by α and β . Note that for every nonzero scalar c, the area of the parallelogram spanned by α and β is the same as the area of the parallelogram spanned by c α and 1/c β . ) The important point here is that we can scale one of the 1-forms as much as we want at the expense of the other and get the same 2-form as a product.
Differential Forms and Applications by Manfredo P. Do Carmo