By Dale Husemöller (auth.)
This booklet is an advent to the idea of elliptic curves, starting from effortless themes to present study. the 1st chapters, which grew out of Tate's Haverford Lectures, hide the mathematics thought of elliptic curves over the sphere of rational numbers. This idea is then recast into the robust and extra basic language of Galois cohomology and descent idea. An analytic element of the publication contains such subject matters as elliptic services, theta services, and modular features. subsequent, the ebook discusses the speculation of elliptic curves over finite and native fields and offers a survey of ends up in the worldwide mathematics conception, particularly these relating to the conjecture of Birch and Swinnerton-Dyer.
This re-creation comprises 3 new chapters. the 1st is an summary of Wiles's facts of Fermat's final Theorem. the 2 extra chapters problem higher-dimensional analogues of elliptic curves, together with K3 surfaces and Calabi-Yau manifolds. new appendices discover contemporary functions of elliptic curves and their generalizations. the 1st, written through Stefan Theisen, examines the position of Calabi-Yau manifolds and elliptic curves in string concept, whereas the second one, via Otto Forster, discusses using elliptic curves in computing thought and coding theory.
About the 1st Edition:
"All in all of the ebook is definitely written, and will function foundation for a scholar seminar at the subject."
-G. Faltings, Zentralblatt
Read Online or Download Elliptic Curves PDF
Best mathematics books
Loads of monetary difficulties can formulated as restricted optimizations and equilibration in their recommendations. a number of mathematical theories were offering economists with fundamental machineries for those difficulties bobbing up in monetary concept. Conversely, mathematicians were influenced by way of a number of mathematical problems raised by way of monetary theories.
Optimization is a wealthy and thriving mathematical self-discipline, and the underlying idea of present computational optimization recommendations grows ever extra refined. This booklet goals to supply a concise, obtainable account of convex research and its purposes and extensions, for a wide viewers. each one part concludes with a regularly wide set of not obligatory routines.
- MEI C1 Study Resources Core1 The Language of Mathematics 1-2
- The Collection of Hang Lung Mathematics Awards Papers
- Inequalities from Complex Analysis (Carus Mathematical Monographs)
- Seminaire de Theorie du Potentiel Paris No 8
- Student Solutions Manual for Aufmann/Lockwood/Nation/Clegg's Mathematical Excursions (3rd Edition)
Extra info for Elliptic Curves
3) Example. For E given by the equation y2 + y − x y = x 3 we have −(x, y) = (x, −y − 1 + x) and the curve is vertically symmetric about the line y = (1/2)x − 1/2 . In the diagram we have included for future reference two tangent lines to the curve T at (1, 1) and T at (1, −1). The slopes of tangent lines are computed by implicit differentiation of the equation of the curve (2y + 1 − x)y = 3x 2 + y. §1. 4) Addition of Two Points. Let E be an elliptic curve deﬁned by the equation in normal form y 2 + a1 x y + a3 y = f (x) = x 3 + a2 x 2 + a4 x + a6 .
Rational Points on Rational Curves. Faltings and the Mordell Conjecture 17 §6. Rational Points on Rational Curves. Faltings and the Mordell Conjecture The cases of rational points on curves of degrees 1, 2, and 3 have been considered, and we were led naturally into the study of elliptic curves by our simple geometric approach to these diophantine equations. Before going into elliptic curves, we mention some things about curves of degree strictly greater than 3. 1) Mordell Conjecture (For Plane Curves).
Since L is tangent to E at (x, y) the quadratic equation 0 = x 2 − λ2 x + a would have a double root at R, and this condition is equivalent to the discriminant being zero, or, 0 = λ4 − 4a. Because a has no fourth-power factor, this has a rational solution λ if and only if a = 4 and λ = +2 or −2. In this case the points (x, y) satisfying 2(x, y) = 0 are (2, 4) and (2, −4). This discussion shows that the 2power torsion in E(Q) has the above form, and we are left to show that there is no odd torsion.
Elliptic Curves by Dale Husemöller (auth.)