By Randolph Quirk
Written by means of certainly one of Britain's such a lot distinct linguists, this e-book is worried with the phenomenon of variance in English grammar and vocabulary throughout nearby, social, stylistic and temporal area.
Read or Download Grammatical and Lexical Variance in English PDF
Best grammar books
Studying approximately Language is an exhilarating and bold sequence of introductions to basic themes in language, linguistics and comparable parts. The books are designed for college students of linguistics and people who are learning language as a part of a much wider direction. Cognitive Linguistics explores the concept language displays our adventure of the realm.
Point 2 - Cambridge English: MoversThe lecturers e-book at each point comprises the reply key, photocopiable checks and audio transcripts.
- Syntactic Theory in the High Middle Ages: Modistic Models of Sentence Structure
- Inversion in Modern English: Form and function
- Writing in English: A Guide for Advanced Learners
- On the History of Grammar among the Arabs
- The Locative Syntax of Experiencers (Linguistic Inquiry Monographs, 53)
Extra info for Grammatical and Lexical Variance in English
4. 5. own credibility as observers. During a lecture in Paris, John Honey raised eyebrows and hackles alike by predicting the replacement of French by English in France itself! Meanwhile, however, foreigners go on stubbornly using foreign languages and the losers are the Anglo-Saxons who stubbornly decline to learn them. It took NASA more than twenty years to learn of a vital opthalmological discovery long familiar to German scientists who had read the work of Jorg Draeger (which was, of course, in German).
2. 44 Variation between individuals Here is where linguists have LINGUISTIC VARIANCE: NATURE AND ART concentrated their energies. We have language variation between individuals of different periods, of different regions, and of different social groupings within a single period and region (d. Quirk et al. 1985, Ch. 1).
English for these purposes has to reflect not only what is going on in America and in Britain, but 35 GRAMMATICAL AND LEXICAL VARIANCE IN ENGLISH equally what is going on in Japan and Germany. English for these purposes has to be understood not only by Americans and Britons, but equally by English-speaking Indonesians and Russians. In short, it is under this head that the motivation is strongest for the establishment of standards that are genuinely and usefully international. Cf. Quirk and Stein 1990, Chs 5 and 9.
Grammatical and Lexical Variance in English by Randolph Quirk