By Thomas Hanneforth, Gisbert Fanselow
Read Online or Download Language and Logos: Studies in theoretical and computational linguistics PDF
Similar linguistics books
In Babel not more, Michael Erard, “a monolingual with benefits,” units out on a quest to satisfy language superlearners and make experience in their psychological powers. at the method he uncovers the secrets and techniques of ancient figures just like the nineteenth-century Italian cardinal Joseph Mezzofanti, who used to be stated to talk seventy-two languages, in addition to these of residing language-superlearners similar to Alexander Arguelles, a modern day polyglot who understands dozens of languages and exhibits Erard the tips of the exchange to offer him a dismal glimpse into the lifetime of obsessive language acquisition.
Grammar has ultimately enable its hair down! not like uptight grammar books that weigh down us with each grammar rule, Kiss My Asterisk is sort of a bikini: it's enjoyable, flirty, and covers simply an important bits. Its classes, that are one hundred pc freed from complex grammar jargon, were conscientiously chosen to incorporate today's commonest, seen errors—the ones that confuse our readers or lead them to ponder whether we're, actually, smarter than a 5th grader.
*Colourful bins and tables current language essentially *Lively, illustrated workouts and video games make perform enjoyable and potent *Pre-tests establish scholars' problems *Regular revision sections and development exams consolidate language studying *CD-ROMs offer extra grammar perform and video games *Teacher's advisor comprises solution keys and additional photocopiable try out
This choice of readings is complementary to "Introduction to Integrational Linguistics (Language & communique Library, Vol. 17)", yet can be utilized independently. It brings jointly for the 1st time 24 key papers in integrational linguistics, and is meant to function a uncomplicated interpreting record for college students and others making the 1st acquaintance with the topic.
- Functional-Historical Approaches to Explanation: In Honor of Scott DeLancey
- The Politics of Language: Conflict, Identity, and Cultural Pluralism in Comparative Perspective
- Behind the Veil in Persia and Turkish Arabia: An account of an Englishwoman's eight years' residence amongst the women of the East
- A Grammar of Sheko (Omotic)
- Georgetown University Round Table on Languages and Linguistics 1996: Linguistics, Language Acquisition, and Language Variation: Current Trends and Future ... on Languages and Linguistics (Proceedings))
Extra resources for Language and Logos: Studies in theoretical and computational linguistics
27) Perspective Structure: BE (THING, LOC) [THING is the Perspectival Center] a. Ivan byl na lekcii. ' b. Ivan ne byl na lekcii. ' DS NDS (28) Perspective Structure: BE (THING, LOC) [LOC is the Perspectival Center] a. Na lekcii byl Ivan. ' b. Na lekcii ne bylo Ivana. / Ivana ne bylo na lekcii. ' ES NES Another important assumption is that "any Perspectival Center must be normally presupposed to exist" (Borschev & Partee, 2001, p. 19). Given this assumption, we expect that NDS (our negated locative sentences) and NES (our negated existential sentences) differ not only in terms of case marking of their "subjects", but also in terms of presupposition.
1965). A Note on Transition Proper in functional Sentence Analysis. Philologica Pragensia 8. 170-176. Freeze, R. (1992). Existentials and Other Locatives. Language 68. 553-595. Grzegorek, M. (1984). Thematization in English and Polish. A Study in Word Order. (Seria Filologia Angielska). Poznan: University of Poznan. Harves, S. (2002). Unaccusative Syntax in Russian. D. thesis. Princeton University. Hazout, I. (2004). The Syntax of Existential Constructions. Linguistic Inquiry 35/3. 393^30. Hoekstra, T.
O semanticeskom podxode k sintaksisu i genitivnom sub"ekte glagola BYT' [On the Semantic Approach to Syntax and the Genitive Subject of the Verb BYT' 'BE']. Russian Linguistics 16. 53-63. Paduceva, E. V. (1997). Roditel'nyj sub"ekta ν otricatel'nom predlozenii: sintaksis ili semantika? ]. Voprosy Jazykoznanija 2. 101-116. Partee, Β. (2000). ". In: J. Dölling & T. ) Prosodie — Struktur - Interpretation. (- Linguistische Arbeitsberichte, vol. 74). Institut für Linguistik, Universität Leipzig. 43-57.
Language and Logos: Studies in theoretical and computational linguistics by Thomas Hanneforth, Gisbert Fanselow