By Anne Lobeck, Kristin Denham
An attractive and clean tackle the foundations and politics of English grammar, written in full of life prose. It is going a step additional than so much books on grammar by means of supplying an outline of the sector, with a dialogue of old and present debates approximately grammar, and the way we outline, talk about, and technique it.
- Presents a singular, inquiry-based method of knowing audio system' subconscious wisdom of English grammar
- Makes lucid connections, while proper, with present linguistic theory
- Integrates language swap and edition into the research of grammar
- Examines ancient resources of socially evaluative perceptions of grammar, as 'good' or 'bad', and notions of language authority
- Provides syntactic reasons for lots of sleek punctuation rules
- Explores a number of the present controversies approximately grammar instructing at school and the position of normal English in checking out and assessment
Read or Download Navigating English Grammar: A Guide to Analyzing Real Language PDF
Best grammar books
Studying approximately Language is an exhilarating and bold sequence of introductions to basic subject matters in language, linguistics and similar parts. The books are designed for college students of linguistics and people who are learning language as a part of a much broader direction. Cognitive Linguistics explores the concept language displays our event of the area.
Point 2 - Cambridge English: MoversThe lecturers booklet at each point comprises the reply key, photocopiable checks and audio transcripts.
- Pidgin and Creole Tense/Mood/Aspect Systems
- Complex Predicates: Cross-linguistic Perspectives on Event Structure
- Corpus-based Approaches To Sentence Structures
- Finnish: An Essential Grammar (Essential Grammars)
- A descriptive grammar of Huastec (Potosino dialect)
- Constructions Collocations Patterns
Extra resources for Navigating English Grammar: A Guide to Analyzing Real Language
And we sometimes even use Latin plurals for nouns that look like they’re from Latin, but that really aren’t, such as octopi. Octopus is originally Greek, with the plural octopodes. Generally, however, we now use the -s ending on new nouns (blogs, faxes, tweets and textmessages). What About Other Languages? Two Dog Possessives As we saw in Chapter 1, languages have different ways of marking grammatical functions. Some languages use morphological case to express these relationships; the subject noun phrase morphologically expresses nominative case, and the direct object morphologically expresses accusative case, and so on.
Find at least two examples of how dialect and/or accent 21 What is Grammar and How Do We Study It? What aspects of your language have you been corrected on? Do you recall consciously making a change in pronunciation, word usage, or grammar after being corrected? ” Did it bother you to be corrected, and who are the language authorities in your life (has anyone ever corrected you on Facebook)? If you can’t come up with any spoken language errors, you may consider some examples from the written language.
Consider the following nouns chicken and water: We can’t fit another chicken in the pot. (count) No one can eat more chicken than Brutus. (mass) Nouns She longed to swim in the warm waters of the Gulf. (count) She longed to swim in the warm water. (mass) Although many (maybe all) languages seem to distinguish between mass and count nouns, they do so in different ways. For example, furniture is a mass noun in English, so it can’t be pluralized: *furnitures. ” Things Ain’t What They Used to Be: 10 Items or Less?
Navigating English Grammar: A Guide to Analyzing Real Language by Anne Lobeck, Kristin Denham