By Chhote Lal Tripathi
Read Online or Download The Problem of Knowledge in Yogacara Buddhism PDF
Similar buddhism books
During this new version of his acclaimed autobiography lengthy out of print and infrequent previously Alan Watts tracks his religious and philosophical evolution from a toddler of spiritual conservatives in rural England to a freewheeling religious instructor who challenged Westerners to defy conference and imagine for themselves.
For over 2000 years, Buddhist psychology has provided important insights into the character of the guts and brain, and remodeled the way in which many folks around the globe deal with life's demanding situations. however the old texts on which those outstanding teachings are established may be tough to penetrate for contemporary seekers.
Desk of Contents
1. The BuddhaÕs traditional and supreme Tooth
Ð John Buescher
2. Ask a Farmer: final research and Conventional
Existence in Tsong kha pa's Lam rim chen mo
Ð man Newland
3. portray the objective: at the id of the
Object of Negation (dgag bya) Ð Donald S. Lopez, Jr.
4. slicing the Roots of advantage: Tsong kha pa on the
Results of Anger Ð Daniel Cozort
5. Ethics because the foundation of a Tantric culture: Tsong kha pa
and the Founding of the dGe lugs Order in Tibet
Ð Elizabeth Napper
6. Bon rDzogs chen on Authenticity (pramÝna, tshad ma):
Prose and Poetry at the direction Ð Anne Carolyn Klein
7. The dGe ldanÐbKaÕ brgyud culture of MahÝmudrÝ:
How a lot dGe ldan? How a lot bKaÕ brgyud?
Ð Roger R. Jackson
8. Demons at the mom: Objections to the Perfect
Wisdom Sñtras in Tibet Ð Gareth Sparham
9. Gung thang and Sa bzang Ma ti Paû chen on the
Meaning of ÒFoundational ConsciousnessÓ
(Ýlaya, kun gzhi) Ð Joe Bransford Wilson
10. Authorship and Literary creation in
Classical Buddhist Tibet Ð Jos Ignacio Cabezn
11. Altruism and Adversity: views from Psychoanalytic
Object kin thought Ð Harvey B. Aronson
12. Drawing the metal Bow: A Bibliographic Appreciation
of the Literary Legacy of Paul Jeffrey Hopkins
and His application on the college of Virginia
Ð Paul G. Hackett
- Sky Above, Great Wind: The Life and Poetry of Zen Master Ryokan
- 101 storie Zen
- Beyond Oneness and Difference: Li and Coherence in Chinese Buddhist Thought and Its Antecedents (SUNY series in Chinese Philosophy and Culture)
- Meaning of Orthodoxy in Buddhism: A Protest
- Forest Recollections: Wandering Monks in Twentieth-Century Thailand
Extra info for The Problem of Knowledge in Yogacara Buddhism
Tattva-samgraha. verse 1 344. 43. Svavittir va pramalJam tu sarupyam yogyata'pi Va. Ibid verse 1 344. 44. Yena krtena ca arthaQ. prapito bhavati, sa eva ca p rapalJa-phaiam. Nyaya-bindu-,Ika I . 1 9. 30 The Problem of knowledge in Yog�cara Buddhism Sloka vartika sense-perception verses 74, 75. Sarupya or tadakarata. Tattva-saIhgraha v�rse 1 345. Ibid, verse 1 347. VHIi�yamal)a sandhau ca darvadau parasucchida. Pravisannucyate tena tatraikatvam avasthitam. Ibid verse 1 348. 50. Avasyam adau vyavastha dvarel)aiva sadhya sadhana sarhstha kartavya, na hya vyavasth::ipya sarhvid bhedarh vi�aya bhedena niyamena pravrttir yukta sarhvid, bheda vyavasthayaka sarupyam eva nibandhanam iti samar thy a deva ayatarh sarupyasya sadhaka tamatvarh sarupyadeva ca jnanasya pravarttakatvarh, pravartta kasya va pramal)atvarh pravrttikamena niriipyate na vyasanitaya .
Every idea is perfumed by this transcendental illusion1llO• The extreme Yogacaras and the Sautrantika Yogacara give a different explanation of the anadi vasana. For the 24 The Problem of knowledge in Yogliclira Buddhism �autrantikas the external world is real. The reality is partic ular1 21, unique12 2extreme point-instant12 3 and beyond all our conceptions1 24• We can perceive it as such but we can not know it as such. It can be known only through Our inter� nal images which correspond to the external objects and only through this correspondence12 5 we come to realise that 'this is that ' or 't h is is the Vindhya mountain'.
23. Saha sabdasca loke 'nyo nai vanena vina kvacit. Viru ddho' yam tato hetur yadyasti saha vedanam. Bhadanta Subha Gupta Quoted in the Tattva salngraha-pafijika: p. 567 lines 1 7- 1 8. 24. Vi�aya�ya jfiana hetutayopanidhil:;l pragupalambhal:;l pascat samvedanasya i ti. Ibid p. 568 lines 1 9-20. 25. Yadi na kimcijjanati katham tarhi sarvajfial:;l syad iti. Ibid p. 573 line 27. 26. Aka ravan bahyo'rthal:;l sal:;l bahir deSa sambaddhal:;l pratyak�am upa labhyate. Mlmalhsa-sutra-bha�ya 1 . 1 5. Quoted in the Tattva-sarhgraha-pafijika: p.
The Problem of Knowledge in Yogacara Buddhism by Chhote Lal Tripathi